Saturday, August 22, 2009

1st Week of School

We started school last Monday and believe it or not I only got a few pictures:( I was so into what we were working on that I barely picked up my camera. We had a great first week. I am going to do 2 separate posts so it won't be so long. I will do this post on circle time and a different one on Ellie's preschool activities. We had circle time Monday and Wednesday. Here is where we are doing story time. We were focusing on the letter A (teaching Emily to recognize and both girls to sign it) and our theme Monday was apples. We read lots of books about apples and learned about the different types. We had an apple snack that the girls really liked. I chopped up apples and sprinkled cinnamon and sugar and put them in a ziplock and let the girls shake them up. We did a felt story about apples, sang apple songs and did a few apple activities like an apple puzzle. The girls also used a dot marker to make apples on a letter A worksheet. We also talked about respect and manners. Ellie learned her first bible verse 1Peter2:17 - Show Proper Respect to Everyone. We finished Monday off with a manners tea party. I didn't have any preconceived notions on how long circle time would last and was just going to follow there lead. It ended up lasting an 1 hour 10 min. and it only stopped there because I didn't have anything else planned. Wed. we talked more about respect and also African animals. We read more books, played with a magnetic zoo animal story, listened and danced to African music and had a puppet show (the library had so many great props for us to borrow). I think my favorite thing we did was after re-reading some of our books on African animals we got the globe out and talked about Africa and looked up some interesting facts on elephants, lions, zebras etc. Afterward I surprised them by letting them watch The Lion King while they ate lunch in the bonus room. I rarely let them eat up there so this was a big treat. Emily only watched the first 10 min. but stayed in there with us the whole time playing. The girls are enjoying this time together so much!! I won't bore you with all of the books we read because we read a ton but here were some of our favorites:


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm the same way about taking pictures. It's hard when you do a lot of direct teaching and are so involved with the kid's school time. Thanks for sharing. I love seeing how other people are doing school.

King of King said...

You were a born teacher and i never did understand why you didn't choose that as your profession. Keep up the good work. Love you, Dad

Melenie said...

What a great blog Julie! I love the granola recipe. Yum!

Teresa said...

Wow - looks like you are off to a great start. Can't wait to see what else you do.